If you are a north indian, you would have seen a lot of mustard oil being used in cooking, in pickles and beauty treatments like ubtan (body pack) and hair oiling. In the earlier days women used this oil extensively maybe that is the reason why the have great skin, hair and health till date.
The reason for its extensive use is due to its amazing benefits both internally and externally.
Health benefits of raw mustard seeds and oil :
– Helps control of asthma: Mustard seeds are high in selenium and magnesium. Both the components give it a unique anti inflammatory property. Consumed regularly, it is known to control and keep the symptoms of asthma, cold and chest congestion at bay.
– Helps you lose weight: The wonder seeds are packed with B-complex vitamins like folates, niacin, thiamine, riboflavin etc. Apart from all the individual merits of these components, they are great in speeding up one’s metabolism leading to weight loss.
– Slows ageing: Mustard is a great source of carotenes, zeaxanthins and lutein (also called flavonoid and caretonoid antioxidants) vitamin A,C and K. All these components put together make it rich in antioxidants which in turn slows the ageing process
– Protects you from gastrointestinal cancer: Packed with phytonutrients, mustard seeds are a great way to prevent and slow the progress of cancers of the gastrointestinal tract.
– Relieves rheumatoid, arthritic and muscle pain: The selenium and magnesium content of mustard lend it anti inflammatory and heat producing properties. When applied to the body, the paste heats up the area and helps loosen muscles, leading to relief from pain.
– Lowers cholesterol: Mustard contains high levels of niacin or vitamin B3. Niacin has properties that help lower one’s cholesterol levels and protects the arteries from atherosclerosis (plaque build-up). It also helps to regulate blood flow and protects the body from hypertension.
– Helps reduce constipation and symptoms of piles/fissures: The seeds contain a unique substance called mucilage which is a thick slimy substance that is the key to relieving constipation. Apart from that, it is also high in fibre. In addition, mustard seeds are known to increase the production of saliva, leading to better digestion.
– Fights skin infections: Packed with sulphur, mustard seeds are a great way to curb skin infections. Sulphur gives the seed anti fungal and anti bacterial properties that help fight common skin ailments.
– Improves immunity: Because mustard has a large number of elemental minerals like iron, manganese, copper etc., it helps improve the body’s ability to fight disease.
Now taking the mustard oil only, there is a long list of benefits for both hair and skin. I know women in the family with the most gorgeous hair and skin, their consistent beauty mantra includes mustard oil in their cooking and application both.
Mustard oil is extremely beneficial for skin. However, before applying it topically, it is advisable to do patch a test to ensure that you are not allergic to it. Moreover, cold pressed mustard oil should be considered for topical application. We use regular mustard oil which is used for cooking, since it is toxic and pungent in nature I mix it with another oil like coconut or olive to slightly neutralize it.
1.Removes Tan and Dark Spots:
Mustard oil is effective in removing tan and dark spots to give you a naturally glowing skin. For this purpose, prepare a face mask by mixing mustard oil, besan (Bengal gram flour), curd and a few drops of lemon juice and apply it on your face. Rinse with cold water after 10 to 15 minutes. This should be done thrice a week for best results.
2. Lightens the Skin:
In order to make your facial skin smooth, apply a mixture of mustard oil and coconut oil on your face and massage the area in circles for 5-6 minutes. Gently wipe your face with a smooth and wet cotton cloth. This will stimulate blood circulation, thus lightening your skin as well as getting rid of pimples. Similarly its best to do a body massage with mustard and coconut oil mixed to improve the texture and complexion of the body.
3. Stimulates Sweat Glands:
Whether consumed or applied topically, mustard oil stimulates the sweat glands and opens the pores of the skin. Thus, it helps in reducing the body temperature and removes unwanted toxins, water and salts from the body.
4. Treats Rashes and Infections:
Due to its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, mustard oil is effective in treating rashes and other skin infections, thus preventing your skin from dryness, dullness and itching. A body massage with mustard oil rejuvenates and cleans your skin by increasing blood circulation. Besides, due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is effective in reducing skin inflammation like internal wounds or swellings.
5. Lip Care:
Mustard oil is a great remedy for dry chapped lips when lip balms or chap sticks prove to be ineffective. Before going to bed, just apply one or two drops of mustard oil on your belly button and you will never have dry or chapped lips. This is an ancient remedy which has proven to be effective in moisturizing and softening your lips.
Benefits of Mustard Oil For Hair:
If you wish for long, thick and lustrous hair, then mustard oil is, indeed, a great choice as it is loaded with essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals that are needed for a healthy mane. Be it consumption or application, mustard oil provides essential nutrients to the hair follicles for proper growth. Some of the benefits of mustard oil for hair are as follows.
1. Stimulates Hair Growth:
Massaging your scalp with mustard oil stimulates hair growth by increasing blood circulation in the scalp. It is packed with vitamins and minerals, particularly, a high amount of beta-carotene. This beta-carotene gets converted into vitamin A which is excellent for hair growth. Besides, it contains iron, fatty acids, calcium and magnesium, all of which promote hair growth.
2. Prevents Pre-mature Greying:
Mustard oil is effective in preventing premature greying and darkens your hair naturally. Thus, instead of dyeing hair, you can massage your hair with mustard oil every night to see the result.
3. Prevents Hair Loss and Other Scalp Problems:
Mustard oil acts as a hair vitalizer to combat hair loss and baldness as well as treat dry and damaged hair. It prevents scalp infections by inhibiting fungal growth and keeping it hydrated. The best way is to apply a mixture of warm mustard, coconut, olive and almond oils and massage your hair for 15 to 20 minutes. Cover your hair with a shower cap for 2 to 3 hours, or leave it overnight, wash off using a mild shampoo. This will make your hair long, thick and lustrous.
Please note : It is important to use mustard seeds and oil in moderation. Even though it has great healing properties, it can also be toxic in large quantities. Make sure you consult a doctor in case you fear any reactions or allergies.